CPUs created on an FPGA Logic matrix to not only experiment with CPU architectures but also make high-performance CPUs.
Examples of already tried CPUs are;
- ep8080 a faster version of an I8080 CPU
- ep16 a 16 bit Zero Address Stack CPU, that runs FORTH code directly.
- ep32 a 32 bit Zero Address Stack CPU, that runs FORTH code directly.
- PDP1 an old 16-bit minicomputer it cost about $100,000 and a $2 MSP430 is faster.
Future CPUs are;
- J1 a 16 bit CPU that is both simple and capable of executing several instructions at the same time.
- RTX2000 a 16 bit Zero Address CPU that is very fast given its 10 MHz clock speed.
- CDP1802 an old 8 bit CPU using old minicomputer architecture, an FPGA implementation would 100X faster.
- PDP11 an old 16 bit CPU with a classic minicomputer CPU architecture, it has a very clean instruction set.